RLR Laundry Treatment from Bouncing Babies - REVIEW

Today I am happy to share with you a review of RLR Laundry Treatment, that was made possible by Stacey over at Bouncing Babies!


I have often said that I use a lot of pocket diapers. 80% of my collection are those that come with microfiber inserts. I didn't know until after purchasing as good portion of my stash that microfiber are notorious for stink! And stink they DID!!!

Then, my babies' bottom burst out in a crazy, angry diaper rash, something totally new to me, even after 11 months of cloth. I had purchased some used dipes on the net and didn't realize you had to strip them. I always washed used diapers REALLY well, bascially prepping them as I would a new diaper. I never had any problems until that week. My poor boy was in disposables for the whole week + a trip to the doc. (which of course was on the last day of the rash, so the doc thought I was crazy because the bum was lookin' good by then!)

Worried yeast or bacteria would stay in the diapers and perpetuate diaper rash problems, I was told about stripping for that purpose. I tried the Dawn dish soap technique. Twice, because the first time I used an ultra concentrate (oops) so I had to go out and get the old school original kind and try again. It worked okay. I wasn't super impressed and thought it was kind of a waste of water for the results I got. Now I was worried that in addition to yeast and bacteria, there would be the addition of a new soap to the mix! Eek!

Then, in one of my mama groups online, Stacey at Bouncing Babies recommended I try RLR Laundry Treatment. So I did. And, one week after stripping my inserts, still no stink. I am confident that if the smell is gone, the bad things like yeast and bacteria and detergent build up are gone as well! I couldn't be happier to see my boy in his CLOTH diapers again, worry free!


I did a load of 15 daytime-sized micro fiber inserts and 3 hemp inserts. 2 were used and so dingy and set-in stains they were beyond help for making them look nice again, but the stink came out, so I feel like they are clean even though they are dingy. The rest of the inserts look and smell like new! I put in one packet of RLR and could not believe the amount of suds that developed! I continued to rinse until the water was clear, then continued with my normal detergent and did diaper wash process as usual -- so, the RLR Treatment couldn't be EASIER! There is also a 'soaking method' which is explained at the Bouncing Babies website, under the RLR Laundry Treatment tab, for those of you who go that route. RLR should be used on fitteds, prefolds, and inserts only. Pocket diapers with stay-dry liners and similar should not be used with RLR.


I'm very pleased with my results and will be switching to RLR for all of my stripping needs for diapers, but I also plan to use it on my whole families' clothing. We have hard water and RLR helps to get all of the mineral, dirt, and random other particulate build up out of fabrics, to make them look, feel, and smell a lot better! You can find RLR at many retailers, including Bouncing Babies! Click here to purchase your own RLR Laundry Treatment, at just $2.50/packet, it's well worth it! There are also bulk options to buy RLR Laundry Treatment, so stock up and SAVE! No more worrying about smells in your house from ammonia-soaked diapers. This really does work. I'm so happy that I happened upon this product!

Bouncing Babies also offers a great selection of Cloth Diapers such as bumGenius, GroVia, Thirsties, Flip, OsoCozy and Fuzzibunz. They also provide a wide variety of Cloth Diaper Accessories and Laundry Products.

**Disclosure: My opinions are 100% my own and I was not paid by anyone to write my review. I was given a complimentary product to complete the review.**

36 comments:

  1. Thank you for this review. We recently dealt with a nasty rash from an ammonia burn, and I read about RLR after I soaked everything (wipes, inserts, prefolds, fleece liners, and pocket covers) in the washer with plenty of vinegar, which I didn't want to do with my pockets, but I had to do something immediately. It seems to have worked for now. So what do you suggest to do with the pockets with the lining if RLR shouldn't be used, and vinegar is potentially bad for the PUL, too? Or do you think it's really the inserts that were the problem and not the covers with the lining? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered the same thing about the pockets, so I just washed them REALLY well---like a short soak, a normal wash w/detergent, then 3 rinses or so on HOT. I think I might try the 'grape stomp' method too. But, our stink went away w/the RLR treatment of inserts, so I think MOST of the problem was therein. :) Glad you enjoyed the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have thought to use it regularly due to hard water! Great idea! We have hard water and it makes things hard to get really clean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had been told prior to buying my entire stash that microfiber was notorious for stink. All my inserts are microfiber because I wanted baby girl to feel dry. If only I had known about fleece liners. Ah well. This is an excellent review as I need to strip my diapers as well and I was not convinced of adding dish soap to the whole problem. I will definitely try this product!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I have never heard about this stuff! I want to try it now! I have hard water as well, so sometimes my dipes are difficult to clean!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, I'm battling the stinkies and I think my daughter has a yeast rash from our diapers, I am seriously considering ordering some RLR to get them clean once and for all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard about RLR but never tried it or really understood what it was for. Thank you for the review. This is definitely a product I am wanting to try out the next time I strip
    beth.rees333 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. i want some of this.. to strip my inserts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard a lot about rlr but haven't tried it yet. I don't have odor problems but my son does get rashes.

    It would be nice to try.

    Can you use it on Flip inserts that have a stay-dry top?

    Kristen Bobbitt

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, have heard about RLR but have never tried it. I have stripped my diapers using Dawn, but that created a lot of bubbles, therefore making me rinse a lot more, using more water.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I might have to try this. We have hard water and I have trouble getting the ammonia smell out of my diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am new at cloth diapering.. So I will keep RLR Laundry in mind.. You sound impressed with this company and I don't want the stink that you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the review and will for sure be trying this for stripping diapers

    ReplyDelete
  14. I may try this in the future. Right now we just do the dawn strips.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never heard of this before, and may keep it in mind for future purposes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will have to remember the RLR treatment in case I have problems with my new baby's inserts/prefolds/etc. Glad to hear it worked well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've used RLR before, but I didn't know you shouldn't use it on stay dry lining. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmm, I've just recently soaked in Funk Rock Ammonia bouncer and add it into my wash, but am about about of it. I'm not totally convinced it has helped our situation, so this is what I'm getting next!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never tried RLR before but I'm going to remember this next time I get the Stinks! My whole stash is pockets so I know all about the yucky microfiber stink. :/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never used RLR before and honestly this is the first time I am hearing about it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I still haven't tried RLR but I think I might need to now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have eard great things about RLR - definitely keeping some on hand for when I need it

    ReplyDelete
  23. I stripped microfiber inserts with RLR for the first time this past weekend. I did a soak in the tub. The water left behind was nasty. I did not realize that it could not be used on pocket diapers. That is good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've used RLR once and it seemed to do a good job, but I prefer to just do lots of hot water washes whenever I think the stinkies are coming on.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very helpful review! I didn't know RLR could be used on the regular household laundry as well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing this I have seen these at walmart I will have to pick some up so I have them on hand for when I need to do my first stripping . Only 4 more weeks till my little one gets here and I can start using my cloth !

    ReplyDelete
  27. This review was so helpful, thank you! I really want to try RLR

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow, so good to know - we too use pocket diapers with microfiber inserts . . . I am sure they are in need of a good stripping!

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow... i could use this... my diapers could really use a deep cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  30. i've heard great things about RLR in the cloth diapering community. we are currently battling a bit of a build up issue, and i think this will do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I use pocket diapers also but haven't had to strip them. Thank you for this review however so if/when I need to I know what to use. We use Rockin Green detergent for everyday use.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I haven't started cloth diapering yet, but am already worried about stink issues. Glad to hear good reviews on something that can fix that issue!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I like that you mentioned it killed the yeast we are battleing yeast for over a month ugg

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a helpful review! I would love to try this out. It seems so easy and economical! Anne Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have 3 little ones and use/used cloth diapers with each of them. Using rlr laundry treatment is the only thing that kept me sane dealing with cleaning the diapers. Love this product!

    ReplyDelete