Three Little Birds Design Company Large Reusable Sandwich Bag REVIEW

Anyone who knows our family knows we LOVE tie-dyes. What they may not know is that I pack my husband his lunch, everyday. That lunch includes at least 2 sandwiches. I enjoy concocting new culinary delights for his tastebuds. Some days he gets peanut butter and jelly. No matter what that sandwich, one thing is a constant = the use of baggies in our house. 2-3 sandwiches a day is 10-15 plastic bags/week. Not only is that hard on the budget, it's hard on the earth.


So, we got the opportunity to try a large, reusable sandwich bag by Three Little Birds Design Company--and it is tie-dyed! :) I love the mission statement for this company--I advocate for greener solutions and sustainable living. Our family also values products made in the USA. So, if you're in the Southwest, there are a few vendors that carry this sweet company's products! Their site provides vendor locations, information about the company, and a full product line. The logo is pretty sweet too!

Since I'm at home most of the time, I don't pack lunches for myself often. So, I thought who better to test than my hubs. And he doesn't treat things daintily. So, he would surely put this bag through the ringer!


Upon receiving it in the mail, I noticed first how cool it looked. Then, I noticed that the craftsmanship was really high quality. It has a Velcro closure, and at first I was skeptical that Velcro would keep all the sandwich ingredients in the bag (especially the way my husband can be hard on things!) I expected him to say he scooped avocado out of the lunch pail. Not so. The Velcro is super sticky and heavy duty, and is sewn really sturdily onto the fabric. The dye job was really very well done. I kind of wish I had a whole matching set of tie-dyed bags, a picnic basket, purse, skirt, etc.! They really know how to

First we tested the turkey, hummus, avocado, lettuce & onion sandwich. The bag did not retain any smells, not even onion. It didn't leach in any smells from the refrigerator either---no green pepper, garlic, etc. This was a huge plus. The bag had plenty of room (I use wide 12-Grain bread and make fatty sandwiches, and there was room to spare! As you can see! My husband works earlier than we wake, so I pre-make lunches at about 10pm the night before. The only downside for this test of the sandwich bag was that because it encased turkey, it required refrigeration overnight and then a few hours in the lunchbox before eating. The bread was a little stale by lunchtime the following day at lunch. Not bad, but a little bit. [I got the report from my husband--it was the first thing that I asked him as he came through the door that night!] So, if you can avoid making sandwiches 14 hours before being eaten, then the bag is super!


We also used it for the peanut butter (or sometimes Nutella) and jelly (sometimes honey) sandwich that is an everyday staple. This is the 'breakfast/mid-morning' sandwich. Without fail, at least one sandwich will be some kind of nut butter and a flavored gelatinous spread mix. :) We raise bees and harvest our own honey, and it's delicious. It also usually leaks through the bread. So again, I was expecting a mess in the lunch box. Amazingly the reusable bag contained the mess! It also kept the bread fresh. This was a total success.

We have continued to use the bag for the PBJs in this family. They don't work quite as well for us for meat/refrigerator sandwiches that need to be kept for longer periods. But hey, 1/2 the baggies used and 1/2 the garbage created is a really AWESOME improvement! We have also used it with great success for cheetos, almonds, cookies, and other snack-type foods for lunches, including toddler snacks. It has been washed 8 or more times and has retained its original soundness. Plus, my husband has the coolest lunch at his office, I'm sure of that!

You can buy this really aesthetically pleasing and earth-friendly bag in several sizes, colors and yes, they DO make matching lunch kits!!! (squeal!) by clicking here. You can also Like Three Little Birds Design Company on Facebook.


Visit their site and check out all of the other great green products that they carry! If you order between now and the end of March, use the code MOMS at checkout for 15% off all orders! http://www.3lbdc.com/

**These opinions are my own. I did not receive compensation for this review. I did however receive a complimentary product from Three Little Birds Design Company to complete the review process.**

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first review:)These are such a great idea! Following via Linky Followers:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome review mama i want some now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! And I love the company's name "3 Little Birds"--a little Bob Marley?
    When you're making school lunches for the kids every day reusable bags are a Must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, of all my questions, I did make that correlation, but didn't ask about the name! I love it and the logo! :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an awesome product! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors! Good job on your review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reusable sandwich bags! I don't have one large enough for a decent sized sandwich, but I regularly use them for snacks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These almost have room for 2 smallish sandwiches, but as you can see, plenty of room for a normal-big one! :)

      Delete

 

Blog Designed By Chocolate Covered Designs/All Rights Reserved Copyright 2012