#Flatschallenge - Day 2 - Supplies I am Using & Update


I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.   For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!

Yesterday I did a spoiler on this topic, since I wasn't smart (didn't read ahead to investigate the whole week's topics!) But here is a quick run-down of my supplies:

**I didn't figure out all of my costs. I listed what was purchased for this event specifically.

3 Oeko Popo covers
1 Flip cover
1 Hippeez Fleece cover
2 Brown Cow jersey flats
1 Bamboo flat
10 Gerber birdseye flats ($9.99 at Walmart)
3 Sweetwater cloth flats
1 pair of fleece Wahmie Panties
2 pairs of wool longies
1 wool shortie
1 diaper BumGenius sprayer
1 camp washer that I made last week ($5 for new plunger, pail we already owned)
25' of pcord (paracord) & plastic clothespins
wooden drying rack (bought at garage sale, might be for movies or CD's in its' original intent)
several Snappis

Tulip Tie-dying kit - ($7.49, on sale at JoAnn Fabrics)

Alright, other than an extra dose of patience and a touch of humor, those are the supplies for the week. We are using our regular detergent.


Today's Update:
**Today it is raining. I am really bummed about that, since I have a stained flat that I wanted to sun. In fact, here is what the week looks like for us!! Again, YIKES!

Untitled


We have been having a pretty good time using 2 flats. Cleaning poo out of flats is kinda difficult at times, as the folds tend to hide poo. I've been using the diaper spraying to clean off solids before using the camp washer.

Daddy is having trouble with folding. He has been sticking to the "pad" fold and snapping covers. But, I'm thankful that he is open-minded to playing along and learning about flats. (Because otherwise I wouldn't have any daddy daycare this week!!)

Here is his attempt while babysitting.


And, another look at this strange "Daddy fold."



All-in-all, things are going pretty good. I'm not going to switch to flats full-time, but at least I'm getting more comfortable, quicker, and more efficient flat diapering!

0 comments:

Post a Comment