#Flatschallenge Day 4 - Handwashing!!



I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.   For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!

Okay, it's 12:25am. So, it's really Day 5, but I'm just getting to my post, so for me, since I haven't slept yet, it's still day 4!!!

Ahhh, Handwashing. I LOVE it! Well, the actual action on handwashing using my Camp Washer anyway. I do not however, like the willy-nilly schedule that I've been keeping with washing! I just kind of wash whenever I am almost out of flats, taking into consideration pretty serious dry time, since we've gotten about 4" of rain in the last day or so.

The weather took a turn the moment the challenge was afoot I think! But, that is fine by me. Just keepin' it real!

My husband has yet to wash a flat. He changed 2 so far I think. One was a poo. He did not wash it out. :/ No Super-Husband points for him that day!

I like to leave my washer with a bit of detergent (like 1/12th of what I use in the washing machine) soaking with some cold water throughout the day, and just add flats and do a little plunger swishing and swoshing as the day goes by. **I have the basement gated and off limits to my boy, so having a wet pail is totally safe for us, but before you try it, make sure that your pail won't be accessed by kiddos!*  This keeps stink down and helps to soak out stains, since we're lacking sunlight these days.

I've been hanging my flats from door knobs, the shower bar, in front of fans, and just about anywhere that I can spare the room! Just another note--WOODEN chairs and furniture are NOT good places to drape wet items, as it deteriorates the finish.

Okay, I'm delirious! Good night all! I leave with this....

Handwashing...So Easy, A Baby Can Do It!!!

May2012062-1

1 comment:

  1. I'm so impressed you're sticking it out so far! A quick idea to share, back before I had an indoor drying rack I would tie up some string/thin rope in random out of the way spots in the house to hang things to dry since the draping on stuff around the house can be a little challenging (especially when you have to start moving stuff because you need to close the door, move the chair, etc!) We're headed out of town soon so I can't wait to read your posts when I get back to see how it all ends :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Designed By Chocolate Covered Designs/All Rights Reserved Copyright 2012