I Eat Roadkill

You read that correctly. I felt compelled to post about this, though I've mentioned it before, because I always hear such negative societal stigmas about eating roadkill.

I have on several occasions, eaten venison that was salvaged from a roadkilled deer. Now, we do not eat skunk, possum, squirrel, beaver, or any other rodent-esque critter squashed on the highway. We are talking about large ungulates or maybe a bear, though that one has not happened yet.

This is something I learned about and warmed up to after meeting my husband. He grew up in a poverty county and finding roadkill deer supplemented the families' meat supply considerably.

Deer that are killed by cars are sometimes in better shape than deer SHOT by a poorly practiced or under-educated hunter. Just because the deer has died, does not mean all the meat is spoiled. This being said, deer that have been in the ditch for more than a few hours, especially on a warm day or in warm climates do not apply to this practice! I live near the Canadian border, so we are very temperate, even cold most of the time, so meat keeps well here.

Deer that are beyond eating will be bloated much of the time. Scavenging for roadkill deer is almost like a hobby now. LOL! Be careful, in many states it is illegal to take the carcass without a license of some kind. Most states say to call the conservation officer and ave them retreive the carcass and it goes to a food bank (so they claim) to await a donor list of needy families. In our area, being remote, usually the officer arrives too late and the meat spoils.

I think that if you know what you are looking for and can get over the negative connotation attached to "roadkill" it's an awesome practice. The animal is not completely wasted and we have more meat in our freezer that is hormone-free. Honestly, these days I'd be WAY more turned off by meat at the local big-box store than something organic from the highway, fallen victim to a speeding driver or bad timing.

Food for thought...

15 comments:

  1. Good for you! I always hate to see something delicious go to waste

    ReplyDelete
  2. we've done the same! better than it rotting on the side of the road!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't judge you, but eating roadkill is not for me, yuck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my husband is from Alaska, and I've heard about how you get put on a list there, and when there is fresh roadkill you get a call to come and collect the meat. I think it's cool... waste is bad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you but I could never do that! Just the thought of it is yucky to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just can't get beyond the mental image of roadkill cats and other animals with their guts spread all over the highway, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is something interesting to think about - especially when framed as you have here. I do know others that eat deer that have been hit but I never really classed it like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. huh, I never thought about doing this, though i've eaten venison. thanks for fearlessly sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We eat venison, but have never gotten the courage to go get it via roadkill! Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for taking time to share, you did a good job of presenting it in a way that makes perfect sense!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure if I'm that brave -- but good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roadkill thats crazy.. but awesome to read this.. thanks amanda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't do that.... but I'm glad that it doesn't all go to waste! I think if I saw it happen it would be different, but a deer that I don't know how long it has been there, I couldn't do that one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. deer makes sense to eat....skunk would be a different story!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL Great article. I think i've even heard of a roadkill restaurant? So I guess its not Soo out there...
    I do really like the idea that a beautiful wild creature's body to be thrown away as waste garbage. And that it is good clean meat, wild is better for u by the way and easier to digest for many. How would u be able to tell if the meat is still good? By smell alone? Cook well. What if its already maggoty? Hmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Designed By Chocolate Covered Designs/All Rights Reserved Copyright 2012