MMM #14 - Working Girl (for a week)


Manic Mommy Monday!


Well, here we are. I was WAY negligent last week because of the holiday and didn't write up my 'updates' (which is what my MMM post usually is! until Thursday!) I didn't even bother trying to link up - I just posted it, so this week I'm writing it up on Sunday night!

I start a week of rigorous (trying to keep a straight face as I type that!) training for my dispatch career. I never really thought I'd move from wildland firefighter on the ground to the desk jockey behind the radio microphone, but here I am. I still aspire to one day get back out and do the dirty work, since it's the most exhilarating, awesome job, but until it fits better with my home life, I'm dispatching to keep some spare change jinglin' in. This training I have mentioned before--it is a Support Dispatcher position, just under Supervisory and above entry level. Middle Management, here I come!

Tomorrow I ease in, it's only from 12-5pm on Monday, but goes all week until 5 p.m. Friday. Generally, a Wildfire Academy has like 20 classes and is always at the most LAME time----during summer fire season. But, it's been raining pretty consistently here for 2 weeks, so we're good there. Hundreds of firefighters (75% my old cronies) will be there and I am looking forward to the "catch up" time! The only sad part is that I will be in a dispatch class while most of my buddies are in the "line" classes. (The classes you take for being on the "fireline.") And, the boss man of the dispatch center will be in my class, along with 14 colleagues that are cadre. Talk about intimidating! I always hate classes taught by my peers! It's 100% computer-based & scenarios.

What I'm really worried about though? Pumping. The Academy is always at the local community college--one of my alma maters' actually, so I know my way around okay. The problem is, I have never scoped out a place to pump. I've never had a need until now! I have (hopefully) an hour for lunch, which is served on-site at the cafeteria. The only bad part about that is that is usually when I visit! I feel like I'm going to have a hard time breaking away to go pump, but I know there will not be any other allotted time that is adequate for pumping. So, lunchtime it is.

The other part is I've NEVER been away from Bug for more than 2-3 days of working straight, and even then, it didn't seem that much. His dad will have him M, W, TH and my MIL will have him TU and my mom on FRI. I'm not getting paid to go to training, but it's a $200 class that is being paid for me to go and it will be an substantial pay increase when I work. It is also just another notch in the belt as far as fire training goes. I'm excited but also nervous--I totally leaned on my friend from a past dispatching season for BIG time help on the pre-work for the course and I've only worked 3 days this spring. I'm about as rusty as you can be and it's a high-stress environment--I hope my mommy brain doesn't kick in!

I also have some reviews, a few sponsor spotlights, and the Fluffy Butts Giveaway starting tomorrow!! Then, I have the Summer Lovin' Hop a few days later. Soon after that I have The Ultimate Fluff Stash Giveaway. Then, my debut hosting event, my Canada Day Extravaganza!! HOLY FREAKIN' SMOKES! After July 1st, I'm going WAY low-key for the rest of the summer!  

Wish me luck!



7 comments:

  1. Wow this is great I'm sure hard to leave your little one, but worth it in the end!

    Bekah Kuczenski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been! It's a blast and good for both of us!! :)

      Delete
  2. good luck! sounds like it will be good fix for not getting to be doing the dirty work! i used to be a volunteer as an EMT! good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it will be fun! Good luck. I have never been away for my lo that long either. I hope it goes well

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Designed By Chocolate Covered Designs/All Rights Reserved Copyright 2012