What is the hardest challenge you have been faced with? #BlogChallenge

Going Green with the Grizls


Well, it's been 5 days since I've posted in the #BlogChallenge! I'm really falling behind with this!! But, it is NOT the biggest challenge I've been face with.

My biggest challenge is multi-faceted and a little bit of a spiderweb. It's a blessing and a burden. I think my biggest challenge has been becoming a STAY AT HOME MOM.

Before we found out we were going to have a baby, I was an extreme adventurer. I was super into my career. I was pretty selfish. I did a good job taking care of ME but that was about it. Actually, I can't say that I was 100% selfish--I did a good job back then of writing letters, making little gifts like friendship bracelets or CDs, things like that for friends and family.

Since having my Little Bug, I have had to learn to care for another human-absolutely. I make sure he has sunblock and sometimes let myself burn on accident. I forfeit workouts at the YMCA when I get paged for a sad kiddo. I have gotten 3 haircuts in 2 years and they've been at Great Clips for as cheap as possible. Forget about highlights---I just had my mom do the box version and I'm FINALLY able to comb through it again about 4 weeks later! I used to spend my days working out, tanning, getting an eyebrow wax, highlights, going for hikes and walks, browsing in stores, or doing hobbies like crafting.

Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE MY SON! It's just a very hard adjustment to be a stay at home mom. I sometimes get sad when I see my friends and their blossoming career highlights. I'm happy for THEM, but I wonder if I'll ever get back into the working world. It's a true BLESSING to BE ABLE to stay at home, but it's also hard to pay for my tuition debt since the very thing it went to pay for is on a hiatus.

So, that's my biggest challenge. Trying to overcome the pangs of my heart that are still attached to my career. Because to be honest--I was really good at what I did. I feel inadequate MANY days as a homemaker!! My house is usually untidy, my child throws tantrums, I don't make gourmet meals or homemade bread each day. I'm lucky to get in a workout. I'm NOT supermom. Not even close. So, being mediocre at this job, which is the most important job in the world, is hard for me.


3 comments:

  1. It is a huge transition going from the working world to being a SAHM. I always tell people that being a SAHM is significantly more challenging than any career position I held...and that was even as the executive director/artistic director of a non-profit I founded.

    Give yourself some time. It took me quite a while before I became comfortable as a SAHM and became okay with things that don't always work out the way I envisioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you have other moms around in your position, but it would be helpful if you did. Y'all could commiserate while the kiddos play. Like Harvest Moon said, give it some time. It is a challenge, but it's because you care about it. If you didn't care, there'd be no issue. So pat yourself on the back for being a caring mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't start staying home until my second was 6 mos. I wish I had made the decision to stay home sooner. I think everyone would have been happier. I know this won't last forever and while this is a tough job, it is not as hard as trying to work and be mom was. I wanted to give my all to everyone and instead I was considerably inadequate to everyone. Staying home allows me, to be the best me, right now. I don't worry about what my career counter parts are doing. So they are climbing the ladder of success. I'm building human beings toward success. The fact that I get to be the one to do that, is a great blessing and I am proud to hold this position. No job lasts forever. We change throughout our lives. I am at peace knowing I am doing a great job at what I do, right now. The future will be. The past was. I focus on right now, the present. And a present this truely is!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Designed By Chocolate Covered Designs/All Rights Reserved Copyright 2012