Thrifting & Style

I feel kind of old-fashioned. But you know what? I'm proud to be modest. I haven't always been this way. I remember in my "teeny-bopper" phase, as my mother would call it, I wore what was trendy. At that time in the early 2000s, I wore jeans that were around $80 (and usually ripped) and also pretty tight. Who remembers being obsessed with Abercrombie & Fitch?! I would wear small t-shirts (they didn't show midriff unless I raised my arms). I would wear short shorts--not Daisy Dukes, but nothing I'd ever wear again! I also wore bikinis. They were more than the "eye patch" sized tops that are adorning children these days, but they were plenty risque, especially for the era. What I'm saying is, I went through a very peer-influenced time in my life when my style was affected as well as my morals and I'm proud to say that that chapter is OVER!

I was young. I was trendy. Been there, wasted that money! Now, if I spend money it is for QUALITY, not because someone down the street had the item and I just HAD to keep up... I like GEAR. I will fork out good money for baselayers, fitness clothing, and functional items like warm jackets and technical clothing. Otherwise, I am found in thriftstores. I just about jump out of the car before it's even in park if I am driving through a new town and see an open thrift store! I end up finding really great items for pretty cheap. Though, I do have to say, I remember the "good old days" when thrift stores had prices under $1.00. That is rare now and Goodwill and Salvation Army are basically "chain thrift stores." But, I must say that by shopping there, I can often find great, sometimes new with tags clothing that is not only quality but also very fashionable (to suit my tastes!) and thankfully modest! I can't shop at Target or even Maurices very often because I've found that their current lines, though beautiful on some folks, don't flatter my figure at all. And, I'm a married woman. No one needs or wants to see most of what those clothes put on display! I've been a fan of tankinis. I wore my maternity swimsuit as soon as I got a tiny bump and long after the baby was out! I also found a great modest swim outfit (rashguard and pants) that you can read about here if you'd like. They are amazing for all sorts of situations, from yoga to swimming.

Since I don't want to end up in the back of People magazine or whatever magazine offers the "What NOT to wear" page, I've been proudly covering up since 2007. I've also been saving SO much money! Even if I spend $100 on a shopping spree while garage-saling or thrifting, I get a carload of clothing for my whole family. If I were to walk into a retail store and spend that same amount, I'd get MAYBE 4 shirts and 2 bottoms -- and that would be on Clearance. I did that in June. I forked over the cash at Maurices to spruce up my wardrobe and be more "trendy." I still have one shirt in my closet with a tag on it. I don't think I've had such a bad case of buyers remorse in a LONG time! I'm certainly not against those gals out there that are die-hard fashionistas. More power to you if you can make it work for your budget, your figure, and your life. I cannot. Even when I buy "nice" clothing, I still feel frumpy. I might feel differently if I had a stylist, but I don't so I choose to spend my money in other ways.

Does anyone else love thrift store shopping? Garage saling? Are you a slave to fashion? Are you baring it all or modernly modest? I'd love to hear what ya'll think!

3 comments:

  1. I love to go to garage sales! It's a great way to save money. I'm looking forward to when my girls are a bit older and will hopefully enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only shop if its on sale for a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all about modesty! I love to thrift shop. I pretty much only buy my kids' clothes from thrift shops, consignment shops, yard saled, and the like. I get a good portion of my own that way as well!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Designed By Chocolate Covered Designs/All Rights Reserved Copyright 2012