Frying Pan to Fire

So, finally I am available to substitute teach. I've had my short-call license for about 3 years (yes, I've paid $160 to keep and renew the damn thing, but am just using it now.) In that time, I either had other plans, had no daycare, or it was summer and there was no school. Now, the secretary at the school called me personally and actually had the luck of getting ME to answer the phone and not my husband or father-in-law. So, I was obliged to say YES.

IMPORTANT point to remember---ask whom you are subbing for. Turns out I said YES to Kindergarten. My first assignment teaching since back in 2010 when I was a Teachers' Assistant for preschool. Did I forget that one day on my feet with all of those needy youngsters was harder than ANY day I spend scaling mountains doing wildlife research OR a day of fighting wildfires? I place teaching those 8 years old and younger akin to the first trimester of pregnancy---I feel THAT tired afterwards!

I'm super excited to make money, get out of the house, and have some new experiences. I DO love teaching and I also love working with the real little kids, but I'm out of practice. I feel like I truly have been thrown from the frying pan directly into the fire. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm REALLY intimidated by all those kiddos! I don't remember if you eat WITH the kids in the lunchroom. I don't know how I'll get a pee break--I can't LEAVE the kids! I don't remember if I bring a lunch or get a prep hour to chill out without the kids. I don't even remember if I go out to recess with them. The school opens at 7:30 and I plan to be there with bells on and coffee (but not too much!!) in hand. I am going to wander around, talk to the para and the office ladies.

I'm sure it will be just fine, but how am I going to escape to pump!?!? Wish me luck folks!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I've subbed and it's HARD WORK. Much harder than being the regular teacher, in my opinion...not that I've ever been the regular teacher, but at least they have a routine and know the kids. Hopefully the teacher prepared for you!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Designed By Chocolate Covered Designs/All Rights Reserved Copyright 2012