BOBA makes toddler travel safe and easy! REVIEW

Babywearing is the trendy thing to do it seems, I'm always seeing celebrities sporting slings, soft-sided carriers and packs in the pages of magazines. I don't know about the trendsetting potential in my family, but I do know I come from a long line of baby wearers. My mom used soft-sided carriers in the eighties. Her mom used slings--sometimes even crafted from material that she just "had on hand." One thing that generations of women, and now even men, will tell you is that babywearing makes life easier.



We were so excited to try a Boba 3g. We've been experimenting and transitioning as our boy grows and stretches out and becomes a toddler, we're always on the lookout for a good model for our changing needs. I only wish we had found Boba a few years ago when he was just a wee babe. We did  try Infantino (epic fail for us and our needs - though my husband didn't completely dislike it) and Ergo (worked well during the infant stage) and we love our Kelty backpacks for hiking, but who wants to wear a frame pack grocery shopping? So, the Boba has entered our lives to help simplify toddlerhood!



These little foot straps are what made us want a Boba 3g for sooooo long! It is the perfect way to make our toddler just a little more comfortable being worn. The kiddos can have a little tension on their legs, helping to alleviate and distribute their weight more evenly, since they are obviously heavier and "leggier" than the babies. The carrier is super versatile. The only part we didn't LOVE about them was that my son being a hulk was able to straighten his leg and pop the snaps, so until he learns to calm down (and since he thinks this new trick is funny) we roll without the straps for now.


Here is a picture of our carrier that shows the straps and belt as well as the "hood" for sun and weather protection, or just to give your sleeping wee one a little privacy. I am smitten over the "Tweet" print. Being a family of bird nerds, this super uni-sex print was just made for us! It's actually a little more of a dark brown in appearance, though this photo looks like it's black fabric.


We liked the generous material and the fact that the straps are a little more comfortable than the straps of similar carriers. Our son LOVES the carrier and it's been a lifesaver in grocery stores and in situations where I need my son safe but need my hands and the ability to concentrate on the task at hand. 


Here you can see our toddler is able to look around while comfortably riding on dad's back. This is the usual way that we wear him now, as he's about 28 lbs. and is not extremely petite, so the front style makes doing things like dishes or other chores hard! Plus, he's really wiggly and active and wearing him on the front is a good way to get walloped by accident as he's pointing excitedly to something he sees in the store or outside!


Here is about as "still" as he gets. He and dad were actually running around the house with the Boba on -- it's a new game they've invented and as long as he never confuses us and thinks that mom is going to run around like that, it's all good! Haha! We intended to be able to hike a ton on our latest outdoor adventure but we ended up being in the middle of the Midwestern Snow Storm that hit in the last week (and it's snowing right now as I type this...) so we ended up using our Wagon Stroller for the trails so that he could be packed in blankets. So, these aren't the most adventurous photos, but we did find out that on trails with a lot of stairs, a Boba cannot be beat! It's hard for toddlers to walk safely down outdoor hiking trail type stairs and carrying them freestyle makes it dangerous for BOTH of you, since you don't have full range of view or motion to grip rails or catch yourself. Having the kiddo on your back while hiking stairs is IDEAL!


Here's a quick shot of the front style, our son doesn't mind it, but it's not his favorite way to ride anymore. He did however nap like this on our trip, because naps got REALLY screwed up, so he was tired a lot and we still had to keep our dinner reservations and such, so it was a lifesaver! We love our Boba! If you want to buy one you can go to the Boba Family website and peruse all the styles and patterns available--they also have organic cotton as an option. The new Boba Air is super packable and lightweight--great for traveling abroad and wanting to bring a carrier!


***We received a Boba 3g for the purpose of completing this review. All opinions are honest and I was not compensated in any other way. ***

12 comments:

  1. I wore all my babies. Made me feel safer and allowed us to go places that a stroller would not have been possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those toddler foot straps look awesome! My toddler gets a bit antsy for the carrier (I agree that they are total lifesavers), but I want to reintroduce him to back carrying this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the foot straps concept! I'm hoping to go backpacking with my one year old this summer, and that looks like it might make the process more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. luv the raciew also i cute is that

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this!! it is so cute but my 3 year is the size of a normal 5 year old but i think this would work great fpr my 1 year old!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving the foot straps concept! This would be the perfect gift for my sister who's on the lookout for a travel safe carrier for her little munchkin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish there had been something like this 40 years ago when I had my kids.

    slehan at juno dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is very cute - We never used a sling or a carrier but always used a stroller whenever we took out toddlers out. Not sure whether I would have liked to use one because I am always hot and having another body so close to me for a long time would make me very uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome, but I know for sure I couldn't carry my son. Bad back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the print on this carrier! We have the 3G in gray (so hubby can wear it without feeling too girly), but I'm the one carrying LO 99% of the time. I wish we would have gone for a more fun print :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't tried one of these but have always wanted to; thanks for the review. I love the print/colors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We got a Boba as soon as my youngest hit 7lbs (she was 5lbs 15oz at birth so too small for it at first)..such a good investment. I used it around the house, on errands, on walks, even at family parties and church when she needed to be calm or take a nap. Now it's getting even more use between my two children - it's nice to wear my youngest around the house so I can give my eldest more attention and nice to wear my eldest when she doesn't want to be in the stroller when we're out. I haven't tried the foot straps on her though - I had put them away and kind of forgot about them!

    ReplyDelete