New Year's Resolutions, Revisited.

Everyone is high on New Year's Resolutions at the beginning of the year. Most people, come Groundhog's Day cannot even remember what it was they swore they were going to fix, change, or improve---unless their automatically drafted gym memberships are staring them in the face each month! So, to help curb that rut and to try and be more proactive, I'm reevaluating myself again and for spring I'm cleaning up my act...again.

1. Journaling for my son at least a few times each week. I've been good at this so far. Each time he does something laughable or sweet or says something new...whatever it is. If I try to set aside 5 minutes as soon as possible--maybe when he's preoccupied with a truck or Curious George-- I jot things down. I plan to bring each filled notebook to our safety deposit box, and when he's grown and I'm gone, he'll have a tangible reference of not only his life, but a little piece of me too!

2. Traveling. In recent months, I've lost my favorite uncle, my dog who was also my furry soulmate, an ex that shaped the person I am today, and have had almost every family member over 30 diagnosed with SOMETHING rotten. So, we are getting it together and just doing it. It IS costing us in gas and groceries and such. Extra expenses...but not by a lot. We're exploring our state, branching out with small road trips and hopefully if we continue the trend, globe-trotting with our boy! LIFE IS TOO SHORT.

3. Setting a Good Example. Until now, I'd say at least 40% of the time, I'd fall into the "Do as I say, not as I do" category of parenting and life. This is sort of a catch-all item, but it definitely includes attitude, manners, language, gumption, eating habits, exercise, and just about everything else. I have been a much more polite person since becoming a mom. BUT, I still watch too much TV. I throw a random toy into the toy bin during clean up. I slip and say "shut-up" to the neighbor's barking dog, instead of asking Fido to "be quiet." Guess what? My little carbon copy is watching. ALWAYS watching and listening. Clean up your act, mom!

2. Accept myself. I need to start being nicer to myself. Since childhood I've struggled with positive "self-talk" and I still do. Some days I need to sit back and realize that I'm not SuperMom. That's OKAY! I will never be the mom to make homemade organic cookies, sew clothing, tear into a DIY bathroom project at naptime, and run a marathon each month. I think I'm finally realizing few can. And that's okay!

1. Appreciate & Enjoy Life. This is the big one. In the chaos of planning things, housework, jobs, family, SOCIAL MEDIA, and personal sanity.....one tends to forget we are only here for such a short time. So I need to try very hard to remember each day to stop and enjoy a sunset, a rainbow, a game of catch, the smell of spring, even changing a poopy diaper.... these little moments are what make up life. By not digesting your surroundings and what is happening here and now, you're missing out on it! I plan to boycott smartphones/iphones as long as I can. I will not get sucked in further by other distractions. Who knows...I may even ditch the internet and sign off for a while.... Maybe. Maybe not. Either way, I'm going to Live My Life!



4 comments:

  1. I think it sounds like you are doing a good job. At least your aren't expecting yourself to be perfect. That's a big step! Also you can remember all your resolutions. That's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a good idea. Going back to the NY resolutions every quarter or something like that. It's so true we lose sight of those resolutions. Out of sight, out of mind right.

    Thanks for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea! It's wonderful that you can remember all your resolutions! I'm totally with you on appreciating and enjoying life - after all, you only live once!

    ReplyDelete