Building The Chicken Coop ~ Our Backyard Farm

If you build it...they will come!!

We started out with the skeleton of an old ice fishing house. I was not pleased. After 5 minutes of trying to tear off the "rotten boards" we realized we were going to be left with a 2"x 4" and some nails. So, we started from scratch.

Now, I must admit, I was responsible for air-nailing the Blandex to the floor supports. Then, my husband tore it up and put on a new floor. It still counts, right?

I DID pick out the colors and paint it though! And I helped with the overall design & layout. But he gets ALL the credit for it actually being a livable structure for chickens! We are likely going to be adding another row of nest boxes, since I decided to get more chickens than we anticipated!

The whole project of building the coop has taken a week. Each night about 2-3 hours, the entire week. It's not done yet. Rest assured, I'm proud of this puppy, I'll be posting the finished product too!

TIP: I bought the cornflower colored paint at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore. It was just $5.00 for nearly a full gallon. It had a splotch on the lid that led me to believe I was purchasing Cerulean, my absolute favorite color, but hey, for $5.00 -- it's still in the blue family, I'm not complaining!


We had the mustard colored paint laying around.


The trap door is in the back and will open up to a caged in area -- they will be able to free range as well, but we wanted a containment system.


The doors were pretty much all we salvaged from the camper that we bought on last years' Mother's Day adventure road-trip. It was neat to re-purpose some of that purchase a year later, nearly to the day!


We had a door that we upcycled. And some tin for the roof. And some plexi-glass for a small window in front. We have cute a bigger 22" x 30" window in the back and are looking for a window to install.


This ladder was also a dumpster-diving treasure. We are all about salvage here! There you can see the two nest boxes. We will be adding more below and maybe even above.

THERE! A sneak peek at what has been taking up our daylight hours lately! 

4 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! We want to start chickens in our backyard too. We just bought our house and it has a coop, but it needs some renovating! However in the meantime we're renovating OUR living space so chickens will wait. maybe in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that's a cool project! I'd love to have a coop one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like some chickens are going to be very happy!

    ReplyDelete