Connect

Ducksday Rainsuit ~ Review of Ollie & Stella Outfitters! This suit ROCKS!

 Everyone knows that the transition of seasons (at least here in the northland of the Midwest) means at least a handful of clothing changes per child each day. Recently, I had the good fortune of finding out about Ducksday--a great resource for active kidswear--and, a place to get the goods--Ollie and Stella Children's Outfitters!


We have a "Ducksday Fleece" seen here (photo from the Ollie and Stella website) which was AWESOME for autumn. We have a down snowsuit for our toddler, but for travel on very chilly winter days in the car seat and for the warmer of the cold days, the fleece suit was IDEAL. It fits easily under the straps and buckles of the car seat, which eases a mama's mind while traveling in a snowstorm or when you are "in and out" of the car several times throughout the day for errands. 

This is the exact color (we have it in a size 2T or 92-98) and it fit our son from about 18 months until now--26 months and he's still wearing it comfortably and like will for another year! 


So, when we were able to try a Ducksday Rainsuit, we were beyond thrilled, having found that we LOVE Ducksday kids gear. We decided on the pattern/color "Groovy" suit in a size 3T (or 98 - 104.) One thing I noticed was there is a LOT of growing room between 2T and 3T -- which is totally awesome, we'll be using this suit to the fullest for a long time to come! So, as you'll see, there is quite a bit of room to stretch in the photos---our son is just over 2 and weighs about 30 lbs.


All kids are drawn to puddles. Heck! I'm drawn to puddles! It's part of the fun in this hemisphere of knowing that winter has lost its' grip on us and spring has sprung! The material that the rainsuit is made from is not like a "slicker" -- ya know, the Gorton's Fisherman yellow banana suits? Yeah. Not like that AT ALL. This material breaths, bends, flexes and rolls with all the punches that my son can throw at it! 


The zipper pulls are easy for little fingers to grab, so even our two year-old can maneuver the zippers and pockets of the suit. You can also see the pattern up close here, super fun--great for boys or girls! There are no way for me to illustrate how great the material moves WITH out child, other than many, many photos and the honest words that it rocks! My husband and I went as far as to wish that there were adult sizes for us to enjoy--since this is just better than our combined stash of rain gear! (We consider ourselves rain gear gurus, since we both spent several seasons working in the temperate rainforests of Southeast Alaska and studying in the tropical rainforests of Central America!) We would be first in line for adult Ducksday rainsuits if they ever became available!


Safety is always important, and it never hurts to make your kiddo a little more High Vis' -- they disappear so quickly when exploring outside! So, the folks at Ducksday really made life a little easier by adding these reflective strips strategically around the suit. There are also some great features like taped seams, waterproof zippers, and adjustable cuffs and hood for better weather proofing! These suits are waterproof and windproof but might as well be called "weatherproof" since they are great in snow and sleet and really the whole gamut of conditions that the Midwest has to offer!


Here is my hand, showing you the foot stirrups. It may not be the most flattering photo but I can say these stirrups are wicked cool. Slip them over the little one's foot and never have to worry about exposed skin that gets cold. Because, there won't be any! Unlike other suits and snow pants, the legs cannot get bunched over the boot and leave space for snow or water to get in. These stay tucked down for good! 


Just a small but awesome feature--the zipper cover that is fleece. It never gets cold and though it's mostly to prevent a slight discomfort, attention to detail like this totally brings to light the face that Ducksday suits just keep on rockin'! 


Another great feature that many other suits do not offer--the cinched up waist. It keeps the extra material a little more manageable for the youngster to be able to run and play without a lot of extra fabric getting in the way. 


Here are those Velcro adjusters that I alluded to before. They are found on the cuffs and the hood, making the entire suit fully-customizable to fit kids big and small! The suit is very generously sized, so whether you have a stretching string bean like our kiddo or a little more of a chunky monkey, the suit will fit over their base layers for a fun day outside!


Our spring was late. So, we got a LOT of extra snow play this year. We've seen it all in the last month. The suit held up for it all. I am just smitten over this one piece of outdoor kids gear that makes so many situations Mother Nature serves up so much more enjoyable! Gone are the days (mostly) of several clothing changes! We love our Ducksday Rain Suit! (For added warmth, it pairs wonderfully with the Fleece Suits!) The only thing I just cannot figure out is why they didn't have these like 20 years ago when I was a kid! Completely genius--you just cannot go wrong with this rain suit. 

The folks at Ollie and Stella's have great rain suits. And fleece suits. I can swear to that. You know what I'm really excited to try out sometime soon? Like maybe the few WEEKS of summer that we will get this year? The UV protection gear! We DO get sun up here in the northern climes, just not for very long. BUT, I happen to have some very pale ancestors, and I totally inherited the red hair and freckles and pale skin. And, my son is the spitting image of his mama! 
So, the Ducksday Hats and Rashguards would be really helpful to our family! Great for family vacations no matter what the weather is where you hail from, we'd totally gear up our son in the cool UV protection duds that Ducksday offers! Here is another glimpse (courtesy of the Ollie and Stella's site again) of some of the summer sun protection gear they have for kids! (See the hat and rashguard? They've been added to the wish list that the grandparents request each year!)


Check out Ollie and Stella's to see the full range of great kids gear they offer!



**Disclosure** Many thanks to Ollie and Stella Outfitters for the ability to review a complimentary Ducksday Rain Suit. We were not compensated in any other way for this post and all opinions are our own.**

21 comments:

  1. I love the rain suits! What a great idea!! But the Splash surf suits would be perfect for the beach this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Ducksday Rainsuit (Funky Red). So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the UV protection T-shirts! The surfing decal is really gender neutral so my kids could even share it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking for a rainsuit for my 10 month old. We're taking him on a week long adventure in the Pacific Northwest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. With four little outdoor loving girls, I'd have a hard time choosing between the rain jacket and pants or the rain suit. But either one I would get in Funky Green!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rain pants for my older kiddo - funky green!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the Ducksday Fleece in green is great for layering underneath snowsuits in the cold Maine winters for my grandsons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love those Splash Surfsuits. They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Ducksday Beach Dress- Green/Pink

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the funky red red rainsuit-my twins would look so cool wearing them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love a rain suit for spring bike rides, camping, and rainy days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh these are awesome! This would be great to keep them warm and dry no matter what the weather was like :) I am looking into them, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Comment by: KD

    I love the zipper pulls (to make it easier for self-dressing) and the velcro adjustments!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A rainsuit! What a great idea. I love the adjustable cuffs, my LO has skinny arms

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never heard of rainsuits before, but I love the Ducksday Rainsuit!! I want one for my 2 year old so her clthes don't get completely muddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how these are trim enough so baby/toddler can safely fit in the carseat. I hate when I see puffy coats because I know they really aren't practical for anything but playing outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that rain suit. It doesn't rain that much here in Southern California, but we are a bunch of wimps here and so a suit like that would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the Funky Red reversible jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  19. would love to try these with my son on our cold fall days.

    ReplyDelete