The Untrained Housewife Guide to Getting Prepared ~ A Review

"Prepping" has become trendy it seems. But, in recent hard economic times, what to the masses is prepping is just being frugal and resourceful for my family. However, all the buzz has me looking into ways to become a more efficient family, both in planning and preparing for everything from the annual snowstorm to a global crisis. This book is a GREAT resource for it all!

The Untrained Housewife's Guide to Getting Prepared


I love that there are so many great resources within this great resource!! There are charts, recipes, lists... It's REALLY the perfect guide for a beginner's preparing efforts! Even if you are a seasoned homesteader or prepper, it's a fun and easy read. So, here's my challenge for you -- even if you aren't prepping at all, take ONE small step to change that. Be proactive, curb the trendiness of this effort and do something to provide for yourself in a time you might need it. At the very least, prepare yourself with some knowledge!



The only thing that I saw was lacking in my opinion was the clothing section. I would have loved to have seen a focus on materials that were truly GOOD for survival. Though tee-shirts are versatile and ARE good to keep on hand, I would tell people the importance of wool and natural fibers. Wool is better for fire situations, awesome for being soaked to the bone and remaining warm, and great for retaining body heat, much moreso than cotton. Also, there is value in good ol' polypropylene. I worked in a rain forest and fleece was something that was worth it's weight in, well, fleece! Long underwear that is some kind of poly synthetic (in my humble opinion) is generally better than cotton--unless you are prone to yeast infection or in a particularly wet environment, then cotton may be the better choice (for breathing) or wool for breathing + warmth.

All in all, this is the place for the best all-encompassing information. Build a solid foundation with this resource. And really, it is a SUPER fun read for being non-fiction. I love Harry Potter as much as the next person, but this read kept me flipping the pages almost as excitedly as reading about Hogwarts. So, I urge you, consider purchasing the book, reading an e-reader version, and just re-vamping some aspects of your life to be better prepared. Small steps cover great distances over time!

***Disclosure - I was provided a complimentary copy of this guide to complete my review. I was compensated in no other way. All opinions are 100% my own.***

2 comments:

  1. 'Preppers' absolutely fascinate me, and it goes hand-in-and with my loving reading post-apocalyptic fiction. I think everyone should know how to live off of the land and have basic survival skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like an interesting book and probably one I should read! I often think about "what if" situations like this and probably should be more prepared. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete