The 5 Love Languages for Men: Tools for Making a Good Relationship Great [book review]

Well, it's safe to say that I have spent my winter reading in between changing diapers and enjoying the sparse bit of sleep I've been afforded by my two sons. What is surprising is that my HUSBAND has been reading some of the great books that I've been reviewing too! One that I decided to read (and flip to him) quite intentionally was Gary Chapman's The 5 Love Languages for Men's: Tools for Making a Good Relationship Great. 



I was really excited about this because HE was the one that introduced me to the author and his book The 5 Love Languages - which I've posted about before. I read the book in 2009 and couldn't put it down as I pedaled away that winter in Alaska on the recumbent bike! Now, six years later, I was again unable to put down another of his books! The best part? My husband read it in one week while on business (vacation) travel without the three of us. He hardly EVER reads.

The title wasn't missed - the first thing he noticed was that tools was probably a manly term to incorporate into the title. The grammar girl in me was delighted to see him find a literary device like this - whether intended by the author or not. So...the cover...so far, so good.

I should admit, I got interested in the book for my husband, but really it's for my husband, for me! The author writes toward the male partner of the matrimonial match-up. It is all about him speaking MY love language. This is something we've struggled with for our entire marriage -- while English is both our first languages, we might as well be from different planets when it comes to love languages! I've always been one to show love with words and gifts while my husband requires action. He tries to show love by doing, when I respond to love letters and sweet gifts for no reason.

So, we could use some sprucing up. Does that sound familiar? I would recommend you FIRST familiarize yourself (and your spouse) with the original best-selling The 5 Love Languages book and then read The 5 Love Languages for Men. The latter DOES go through the different languages, but I feel like the first book is a very good primer for all that came after.

If you would like to show some post-Valentine's Day love and discover how to hurdle some of the language barriers in your marriage or relationship, leave a comment on this post - whether or not your husband is receptive to books like this - to win a copy of The 5 Love Languages for Men!

Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book to facilitate my post. I love this author and all opinions are my own. No other compensation was received.

3 comments: