Connect

Last Hurrah for the Holidays - An American Doll Girl of the Year Goodbye

What?!?! A last hurrah for Lea Clark, American Girl's 2016 Girl of the Year? Yep! Right here. You might remember that post when I introduced our GOTY and gave one away at the beginning of this year. Well, I'm doing it again, just in time for Christmas and just in time to say farewell to Lea.

You might also remember that you had the opportunity to ask your burning American Girl questions. I didn't take that lightly. I tracked down some answers to the most asked questions and here they are!!! Enjoy! Share this giveaway, like Facebook pages, leave fun comments and be a good entrant! The more fun YOU make it, the more fun events like this I can provide! Thank you and have a fantastic rest of 2016!!

Was Lea modeled after a real girl the author met?
No. Like our past Girl of the Year characters, Lea’s story is purely fictional and is not based on any one girl.



Who started it all with American Girl?
American Girl was founded in 1986 by Pleasant Rowland, who used her skills as an educator and children’s publisher to create the flagship historical line of 18-inch dolls and books that teach girls American history. Pleasant retired from American Girl in 2000, but here is a link to her speech from the company’s 25thanniversary celebration in 2011 where she talks about her vision for the company. 



Who comes up with the ideas and stories for the American Girl dolls and books?
The actual development of our characters is a very iterative process. The brand teams work closely with our editorial, design, and research teams to determine what story we want to tell and what’s the right character to tell that story. For our character-based lines, we always have a working list of story ideas, time periods, and issues and interests to consider. We have an extensive knowledge of girls and what they are interested in, passionate about, or want to do or learn. We balance this extensive knowledge with past characters we’ve introduced, as well as with those things that might be trending at the moment.

Thanks everyone! Good luck! Please enter below.



Disclosure: Consideration was provided by brands mentioned. All opinions are my own and do not reflect any particular views of American Girl.

12 comments:

  1. Are they thinking about doing a boy doll?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I forgot to hit reply and I answered below. And oops, I guess I was not supposed to answer your question. Sorry. I am just up on AG news. My daughter and I really love AG.

      Delete
  2. Kathryn, it seems there is a boy doll in the works. It is rumored he will be a friend of Tenney Grant, AG's new contemporary character. Boyish clothes and briefs have been found, with the AG label, from an online auction site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I have any AG questions. I visit AG news sites frequently. I am looking forward to see if the new contemporary character will have a banjo. I am also looking forward to see the revamped Felicity. I hope she has not been changed too much.

    Sorry for answering the first commenters question; I answered before I read the article. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there any series dolls in the works- ie American Revolution etc>

    ellen beck

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a question about American Girl dolls....who gets to pick the name of the doll once the doll is developed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What eras or time periods are they looking to do next? Also, are they worried about running out of American history?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have AG considered doing anything but US history?

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do they decide where to put the AG stores and how many are there?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does AG use a test panel as to which dolls to put out or do they leave it to the boards and such?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who writes the back stories or books? Are the books done first and then the doll?

    ReplyDelete