Should You Charge a Friend? A Question from a Cleaning Lady

I'm a stay at home mom. That means, very little "side hustle" income opportunities. So, I have a friend who needed some cleaning done. He was going to hire someone to do it, and I wanted to take a stab at it. He said he'd pay me. So, two days of scrubbing and cleaning all the bachelor evidence out of his house. Fridge. Floors. Under the beds. Floors again (like eight times.) It was a lot of work, but I felt good helping a friend. He paid me, but I charged him less than the going rate -- about $8 less per hour than I'd charge a random client.



My question to you is....DO YOU EVER ENGAGE IN MONETARY TRANSACTIONS WITH FRIENDS?? Would you charge your regular rate? Would you do it for free!? I'm curious!


I also have a secondary thought on this -- it's been my MO since I was a teen, working as a weekend housekeeping attendant at a local resort. I LOVED cleaning the cabins. It was fun to get to know the fishermen and they always left a great tip. But it was also fun to clean the cabins which were relatively bare to begin with. Fast forward to present day? I LOATHE cleaning my house. Cleaning up after three little piggies lost it's appeal almost instantly and de-cluttering is the bane of my existence. I could have really used this Ozeri INSTAVAC Earth Green Nesting Food Storage Container set while figuring out what to do with the 637 lids which fit no container in the kitchen! It's a great idea for bachelor organization OR getting my own family a little more organized in the kitchen! I'll be excited to tell you about it in my upcoming review. 

Do you have the same issue? Loving to help others clean but hating swamping out your own pigsty!?


This post was prompted by an offer to review a complimentary set on my site, but I had this legitimate dilemma just last week. So, it seemed like a fun topic for me to discuss with you guys! All opinions are my own. 

1 comment:

  1. THE LADY who does the office at work charges $27/hr and she said she'd never take less then that. People need money for various things and if I could afford that (I don't make anything near that amount of money per hour), then I'd hire someone as during the summer I do 15-18 hrs of OT every paychq

    ReplyDelete